Context Map Canvas
The Context Map Canvas is a tool that helps you understand your market based on demographic, technology, competitors and other categories.
According to Design a Better Business the Context Map Canvas has 8 categories:
- Demographic trends: What’s happening when it comes to education, employment, and social shifts? How are people voting? What about shifts in age and gender?
- Technology trends: What technology trends might impact your business for better or for worse (or at least not better yet)? This isn’t just about mobile apps either. How do shifts to cloud storage, AI, big data, mobile and wearable tech, virtual reality, augmented reality, etc. show up in your market?
- Rules and regulations: What rules and regulations — whether they’re new or existing ones — might affect your market? Scan the political news for these, as regulations are what politicians love to squabble about.
- Economic climate: What contextual market trends do you see in the economy that might affect how your business, and others like it, operates in the future?
- Customer needs: We’ve said it before, we’ll say it again: your customers (and their wants and needs) are everything. It doesn’t matter what market you play in or what technology you’re building. It you don’t understand the needs of your customers your business will not succeed in the long run.
- Competitors: What does the competition look like in your market? Try to find the unexpected competition. Are there new entries?
- Uncertainties: With any contextual assessment of your market there will be a number of uncertainties. After all, you cannot know how the future will affect the market. You might even consider moving some of the stuff you added to other categories to this one.
Checkout other business canvases in our Canvas Database